Sunday 31 July 2011

A new kind of happiness

It feels like we have finally come out of a very long, very dark period. It included illness and death, forest fires, several house moves, unemployment and financial troubles, miscarriage, pain and injury. And yet we have come out.

I have to be honest: there were times in that period when I really did think that life was never going to be fun again. I had lost all hope that "things would work out" and in fact I would get angry when people said that to me. The truth is, and we have found that the hard way, that things don't always work out in life. Unfortunately you don't always get what you deserve, or have worked hard for. That is the lesson and the strength I gained from the last two years.

And a new kind of happiness. The sun is shining brighter than it ever has before. Small things don't matter, yet they give me huge amounts of happiness. D and I are finally enjoying ourselves, the summer, Greece. We have started doing races again. We have been on holiday. We are infused with energy and creativity.

At the moment we are channelling this energy into fixing our house. My dad built it (took him 13 years) and has unfortunately not been repaired for the last 10+ years. We are scrubbing, sanding, coating, painting and cleaning away.

In our spare time we walk our dogs, run races, meet friends and enjoy each other's company. Life is good!


4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the bad times, thrilled to hear about the good ones! Enjoy your summer and all your projects, large and small. The sun will keep on shining :) loukia

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are my hero and inspiration! I remember you once said it's important not to 'sweat the small stuff' but it's equally true that if you celebrate the small triumphs in life, it really helps you see things in a positive way.
    H xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Loukia, so true: the sun will keep on shining! Feels great to be able to enjoy the summer!
    Henrie, I'm not sure about being anyone's hero... It's very true about the small stuff. Enjoy it, but don't sweat it. As I said to a friend the other day: Life's too short to be worried about the ironing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope we can do a Moraitis day when we are in Athens. Glad to see you guys are enjoying the summer! Doing up the house sounds exciting and promising! Lots of love! N

    ReplyDelete